Thursday, February 18, 2010

LONG week!

Well I'm exhausted! It has been a long week and it is not near over for me yet.

Tuesday I stayed home with Maks. I took him to the Dr. and he has lots of fluid on left ear, it is not a full blown ear infection but they are treating him for it so that it doesn't get worse. The Dr. has been watching his left ear for about 4 months now. The fluid has not cleared up yet and continues to get thicker. She is going to treat him now and then recommend that we take him to the ENT next week to see what they thought about tubes in his ears. He is not eating well and has quite a cough to go along with it the ear infection. We are doing breathing treatments with him (Maks) just to help keep it from settling in his lungs. Last night he finally got a good nights sleep so hopefully he will start perking up soon.

Kale starting coughing earlier in the week but hadn't slowed down or had any other symptoms. We started his breathing treatments on Tuesday but not more than once or twice a day. We knew he was coughing more but thought we were going to get lucky and he would make it through without getting to sick! WRONG! Yesterday (Wednesday) the daycare called us at 4:30 pm to tell us he had a fever of 102.6! We went to get him and you could tell he was not feeling well at all. He came home and laid around with us all evening then went to bed. We kept giving him Tylenol and lots of fluids. He woke up about 12:30 AM with another fever of over 102. He crawled into bed with us and laid for the rest of the night sleeping on and off but really not feeling well. His fever continued to break with the Tylenol but as soon as it would wear off the fever kept coming back and it was hitting 102 or higher each time.

I called first thing this morning to get him into the Dr. (of course Thursday is his regular Dr's day off) we got in at 9 with the on-call Dr. (his name is Dr. Miller) he was FANTASTIC Kale really liked him and so did I. I had the nurse check is Oxygen levels while we were there cause I knew they would be low, we found they were low but not low enough to admit him (which is what I was hoping for). Dr. Miller said that his ears looked great and there wasn't alot of drainage (from his nose) so he feared pneumonia. We went and got X-Rays. Kale is not a big fan of these due to his experience and memories of the VCUG's in KC that we have to get on a regular basis. So after alot of screaming we finally got the x-rays complete. .......cute side we were leaving Radiology and walking down the hall I was carrying my purse, Kale's jacket, and his cup in one hand and holding his hand with my other. Kale was still whimpering as we left but after we got a little way down the hall he stopped me and looked up and said, "No mommy we gotta go back, you forgot your purse". I couldn't help but laugh because he was worried about me but I assured him that I did have it he just couldn't see it from where he was standing! (His dad has taught him to take care of me well)......ok back to the Dr. visit.....

We got back down to peds were we saw Dr. Miller again. He showed me the x-rays and sure enough Kale is now being treated for pneumonia. He was given a few meds and is still on Breathing treatments. So far the fevers are still coming back but hopefully with lots of sleep and a few doses of meds by tomorrow morning he will be getting back to normal again.

Through all of this he is still staying very caring and loving towards the family. He has been worried about where Maks is at all day and has been trying to take care of mom as well. He is sleeping on the couch beside me right now. I am really impressed with his desire to continue potty training right now as well. He stayed dry all night last night and even during the Dr.'s visit this morning he told me when he had to go and had no accidents. Even when his father and I would let his slack he is staying determined! Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of diapers!!!

I will continue to keep everyone updated but I am sure that we will start to see the old Kale (and Maks) back again very soon! I am home with Kale today and Erin will stay home with him tomorrow. Now we are just hoping we can get the boys healthy again soon without allowing ourselves to get run down and sick! Wish us luck!

Ohhh and I start a new class on Saturday and have to work my one Sunday a year this weekend as well! Go figure it would all come in the same week! And for those of you who didn't already hear yesterday when I was leaving for work I backed into our neighbors really hasn't been my week! I think I will opt out of gambling or buying lotto tickets this week, my luck has sure run out! :)

No comments:

Dreiling Family Slide Show! Compiled December 2010